Dental anxiety and a fear of the dentist affects many patients and is a leading cause of poor oral health. Chapel Hill Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offer dental sedation for patients who suffer from dental anxiety and prefer to be completely relaxed during their visit with us. Dr. Furgurson or Dr. White will meet with you to discuss your personal fears, concerns and any previous bad experiences in the dentist chair that may have precipitated your stress and anxiety.
For some patients, a full explanation of their procedure and the opportunity to discuss their fears is enough to help them feel relaxed and confident during their visit. If dental sedation is the best option, your dentist will go over your medical history to be sure the sedation option recommended will be both safe and effective.
Dental Sedation in Chapel Hill NC
We use both nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation, both of which enable patients to be awake and responsive while feeling completely relaxed and stress free. Most patients have little to no memory of their treatment and are able to maintain, restore or enhance their smile with appropriate dentistry. When you opt for dental sedation, there are also many added benefits including:
- Enhances effectiveness of anesthetic
- Decreases gag reflex
- Eliminates joint and muscle soreness
- Enables more treatment to be provided in fewer visits
- Dentist will be able to get the treatment done in a timelier manor
- You won’t suffer from painful memories
Sedation dentistry can play a very important role in helping anxious and fearful patients enjoy the benefits of a healthy, beautiful smile. For you convenience, we offer two options:
- Oral conscious sedation: Oral sedation dentistry works when you take a pill (you will need a prescription for it) at home before your scheduled appointment. Patients using oral sedation will need to arrange for transportation to and from their appointment in our Chapel Hill dentist office. This for of sedation will keep you very relaxed and in a lowered state of consciousness. You will be able to breathe normally and maintain movement independently yet will feel very drowsy.
- Nitrous oxide: Nitrous oxide is an odorless gas that is administered from a tiny cannula that sits comfortably beneath the nose. Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide has the added benefit of taking immediate effect and wearing off just as quickly. Patients can typically drive themselves to and from their dental appointment if using nitrous oxide for sedation during treatment. Expect a brief waiting period after your procedure to become completely awake and alert. This form of sedation has been used for many years in dentistry and is completely safe.
Call Our Chapel Hill Dentist Office to Learn About Sedation Dentistry
If you want to have dental work done without the painful memories, soreness from tensing up, and anxiety, then call Chapel Hill Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today to learn more about our sedation options. You can reach our Chapel Hill dentist office at 919.736.6175 or you can schedule an appointment online.