If you have concerns about the appearance of your teeth, porcelain veneers could be right for you. Chapel Hill cosmetic dentist Dr. James Furgurson and his associate, Dr. White, are experienced in cosmetic dentistry treatments and can help you improve the beauty, health, and function of your teeth with dental veneers.
There are several types of dental veneers, the most durable and lasting being those made from porcelain. A porcelain veneer covers the front and sides of a tooth, commonly used to:
- Fix gaps between teeth
- Repair chipped or broken teeth
- Improve the appearance of crooked or misshaped teeth
- Change the shape or length of teeth
- Cover stained or discolored teeth
About the Porcelain Veneer Procedure
The process for porcelain veneers begins with a comprehensive exam and consultation with Dr. Furgurson or Dr. White. We often use digital imaging to show you what your smile will look like before treatment begins. In some cases, your Chapel Hill dentist may be able to create temporary veneers, giving you the chance to “try out” your smile before the final veneers are placed.
The porcelain veneer procedure usually takes 2 or 3 visits to the dentist. Dr. Furgurson or White will prepare the teeth for the veneers by removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure. This creates room for the veneers to fit comfortably and securely in your mouth.
The porcelain veneers will be fabricated in a dental laboratory. We will send an impression of your teeth along with treatment specifications to a highly talented ceramist, who will hand-fabricate each tooth veneer. It generally takes about 3 weeks for your dentist to receive your final restorations.
At the final appointment, we will try the veneers on your teeth and then cement them to the teeth for a permanent, beautiful restoration
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
- How much do porcelain veneers cost?
- Patients often ask about the cost of veneers or how much a single tooth veneer costs. There are several factors that go into the price of veneers, the first of which is materials. Other factors include the size and location of the tooth as well as the cosmetic goals of treatment.Chapel Hill Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offers porcelain veneers as well as the less expensive alternative, tooth bonding.
- How long do porcelain veneers last?
- Our goal is for your porcelain veneers to last a lifetime. After several years, it is common to need some minor repair or maintenance. You can ensure long lasting veneers by maintaining a healthy diet, brushing and flossing regularly and visiting the dentist at least twice a year for professional cleaning and examination.
- Why choose porcelain veneers?
- Porcelain veneers are incredibly durable and stain resistant. They also look and feel more like natural teeth compared to alternatives like Lumineers or tooth bonding.