Chapel Hill cosmetic dentist Dr. James Furgurson and his associates at Chapel Hill Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offer two types of professional teeth whitening: in-office and at-home whitening trays. Both options can provide results that are superior to over the counter options and with the guidance of your dentist, can be safely administered with lasting results.
We use Zoom! Whitening and Opalescence Teeth Whitening products. Both brands are leaders in professional teeth whitening, easy to use and deliver brilliant results. Your Chapel Hill dentist can help you decide if in-office bleaching, take home trays or a combination of the two are best for you and your specific cosmetic goals.
Zoom! Teeth Whitening
The Zoom Whitening procedure is simple and painless. The special gel was developed by Discus Dental, leaders in professional tooth whitening. The active ingredient in Zoom is pH balanced hydrogen peroxide that, when activated by a special light, gently penetrate teeth to remove deep stains and discoloration.
For in-office whitening, we recommend patients start with a cleaning. Next, we prepare the mouth for the whitening procedure by isolating the lips and gums. The proprietary Zoom Whitening gel is applied to the teeth, which is activated by a specially designed light.
Zoom Whitening Results
Teeth typically become at least six to ten shades whiter – sometimes more! A five minute fluoride treatment completes the procedure. You will be amazed with the results. In most cases, your teeth will continue to whiten in the first few days following the procedure.
Zoom Take Home Whitening Trays
Some patients choose the convenience of at home whitening trays. These are custom made to fit precisely over your teeth. Patients who select in office whitening also get take home trays for touch up treatment.
Opalescence Teeth Whitening
Opalescence tooth whitening gel is specially formulated with potassium nitrate and fluoride to reduce tooth sensitivity and strengthen enamel. This helps to not only improve the beauty of your smile, but the health as well!
How It Works
The active ingredient in Opalescence whitening gel is either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide (depending on the treatment selected). As oxygen molecules from the whitening agents penetrate the tooth enamel, they spread, breaking apart stains and whitening the entire tooth.
Before & After
(*Results may vary; images courtesy of Opalescence)
Teeth Whitening FAQS
- How does professional teeth whitening compare to over the counter options?
- There are many over the counter options for teeth whitening including whiting tooth paste, whitening strips and gels. For patients who want the best results, professional treatment is still the best choice. Dr. Furgurson offers teeth whitening systems with custom fit trays to ensure even whitening of the teeth. In addition, our products are specially formulated to reduce tooth sensitivity, a common side effect of whitening.
- How much does teeth whitening cost?
- Teeth whitening is one of the most affordable cosmetic dentistry treatments available. The cost of your whitening treatment will depend on the type of whitening you choose and your desired outcome. In office whitening costs an average of $500 per treatment and at home whitening can range between $250 and $500 depending on the system you choose. Refills for touch up treatment may be an additional cost. Contact our office for more specific details.
- Will teeth whitening make my teeth more sensitive?
- One of the more common side effects of teeth whitening is tooth sensitivity. Drs. Furgurson and White carefully supervise teeth whitening treatments to ensure minimal side effects. The products we use are specially formulated to virtually eliminate sensitivity.
- How long does teeth whitening last?
- The results of teeth whitening will vary based on each individual. Most patients can expect whitening to last six months to a year. Touch-up treatment every four to six months can help extend the results of your treatment. Visiting the dentist regularly and avoiding smoking and dark foods will also help to keep your teeth white and bright