A dental crown can serve both restorative and cosmetic purposes and is one of the most common treatments performed in our Chapel Hill dentist office. Dental crowns are sometimes called “caps” because they are placed over the tooth, covering the entire tooth structure. Chapel Hill dentists Dr. James Furgurson and Dr. Nathan White use a variety of high quality materials to add strength and durability to teeth that are weakened by damage or decay.
We may recommend a dental crown to address any of the following dental concerns:
- Replace worn or unsightly metal fillings
- Improve the appearance of stained or discolored teeth
- Correct misshapen or uneven teeth
- Restore tooth cavities or cover teeth after root canal therapy
- Repair cracked, worn or broken teeth
- Restore dental implants
Dental Crown Before & After
This patient came to our Chapel Hill dentist office bothered by the appearance of her smile. One of the front teeth was discolored and the two front teeth didn’t “match”. Dr. Furgurson used ceramic tooth crowns to cover the front teeth for a natural looking restoration.
About the Dental Crown Procedure
- Initial Visit – First, Dr. Furgurson or Dr. White will conduct a thorough examination of the teeth, gums, jaw joints and other support structures. Using diagnostic x-rays, molds and impressions, we look for hidden signs of decay, stress and instability. This exam will help us to design a personalized treatment plan that will restore the tooth to optimal health and function. We will inform you on the various options you have for dental crowns and help you make the best choice for your long term oral health and the aesthetics of your smile.
- Tooth Preparation – Once the treatment plan is finalized, we will prepare the teeth by removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure to accommodate the dental crown. A temporary tooth cap will be placed on the tooth while the final restoration is being fabricated at the dental laboratory.
- Final Restoration – In about 2 to 3 weeks, you will return to our Chapel Hill dentist office for the delivery appointment. Your dentist will try on the dental crown and secure it for a permanent fit.